When you think of pizza, the word “healthy” probably doesn’t immediately come to mind, and that’s understandable. Pizza is often topped with tons of meat and cheese, which tends to be on the unhealthy side of the food pyramid. But did you know that custom pizzas can be good for you? It’s true! If you’re trying to eat better or lose some weight, you don’t have to cut pizza out of your diet. Consider using the following toppings on your next pie:
- Healthy crust: Unfortunately for people on a low-carb diet, standard pizza crust is a no-go. The dough that we’ve come to know and love just has too many carbohydrates. Thankfully, there’s a solution! Crust made out of cauliflower is all the rage with people watching their weight, as well as those who are allergic to gluten. Cauliflower crust isn’t just good for you—it’s also tasty and fairly simple to make. The next time you’re making custom pizzas at home, consider switching to a crust made from cauliflower for a one-of-a-kind pizza experience.
- Spinach: If Popeye were making a pizza, he’d surely reach for a can of spinach for his number one topping. If you’re looking to make a healthy pizza, you might want to do the same! In addition to providing your daily dose of vitamin K, spinach is known to prevent various types of cancer. More importantly, it’s a tasty topping for any pizza.
- Ham: While a spinach pizza might be good enough for some, many people must have meat on their pie. If this sounds like you, consider choosing ham instead of other meats. Ham has less fat than ground beef, sausage or bacon, and it also has more protein.
- Pineapple: Why not turn your ham pizza into a Hawaiian pizza by adding some pineapple? Though it may sound strange at first, Hawaiian pizza is the perfect blend of sweet and savory and is sure to be a hit at your next party.
- Chicken: If ham isn’t your thing, but you still want meat on your pizza, look no further than chicken. Chicken is low in fat and extremely high in protein. Be wary of ordering it at a restaurant, though—most pizzas with chicken as a topping have cream-based sauces that are highly caloric and loaded with saturated fats.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms aren’t for everyone, but those who’ve had them on a pizza know how tasty they can be! Mushrooms are also high in protein and can even help prevent prostate cancer. There’s no reason not to add a little fungi to your pie!
- Low-fat cheeses: You could try making healthy custom pizzas by using all of the toppings above. But if you choose the wrong cheese, your pie will end up being a disaster for your diet. Use low-fat cheese and parmesan instead of mozzarella to cut back on calories without sacrificing flavor.
Trust us, eliminating pizza from your diet is a big mistake, largely because it’s probably not necessary. After all, nobody wants to live life without having a slice of pizza every now and then! The next time you’re craving some quality pizza, choose Giovanni’s Frozen Pizza. All of our custom pizzas are made fresh with nutritious ingredients—they don’t just taste good, they’re good for you!