We’ve all got our “go-to” custom pizza. For some, it’s a load of meats—like a chicken, bacon and sausage pizza. For others, it’s a veggie-lover’s delight, with spinach, peppers, olives and feta. Some people just like the plain ol’ cheese and sausage for their go-to. Regardless of what your fancy is, we all know what we like and, more importantly, what we don’t like.
It’s always fun seeing what people order on their pizzas. You might not always agree, and sometimes, picking pizza toppings can even be a point of contention! But how often are you truly horrified by another person’s pizza toppings? Probably not ever, unless of course they’re wildly outlandish. Case in point, check out some of the pizza toppings that are riding to popularity these days:
- Fruit: Pineapple pizza was just the beginning. Today, people are requesting all sorts of weird fruity toppings to go with their cheese and sauce. Some popular options include grapes, bananas, peaches and durian. A little outlandish? Yes. Delicious? Quite possibly, if prepared right!
- Chips: A cheese pizza with… Flaming Hot Cheetos? Pepperoni, black olives and… Fritos? That’s right: people are now augmenting their generic pizza toppings with crushed up chips. Here again, it’s not all that weird of a concept, but one that may definitely take some getting used to.
- Seafood: Seafood and pizza has been a long time coming since the days of anchovies. So many traditional Italian dishes rely on seafood, so it was only a matter of time before someone took the same concept and applied it to pizza. If you’re a seafood lover, give a shrimp, scallop and white sauce pizza a try. There are also variations of crab and red sauce with cheese floating around out there.
- Themed pizza: An entire Thanksgiving dinner on top of your pizza pie? That’s right! And this is just one of the many themed creations that has paved the way for some truly outlandish pizza combinations. Would you eat the likes of a “Green Eggs and Ham” pizza or a pizza that has all the ingredients of a taco salad?
- Worldly creations: Pizza has become a cultural phenomenon for numerous individual cultures around the world. The result is a focus on regional pies. Thai chicken with peanut sauce or creole sausage pizza are being embraced by regions of the world, despite having some truly out-there ingredients. Would you take your chances on a pizza that’s popular halfway around the world?
- Weird condiments: We’re used to putting relish, mustard and ketchup on a hotdog… but what about on a pizza? Condiments are subject to creative use in custom pizzas these days—everything from spicy brown mustard, to caviar, to peanut butter and beyond. What are you brave enough to put on your pie?
The next time you and a friend are arguing over the best possible combination of toppings, remember that there are more styles of custom pizza out there than you could possibly imagine. Just be thankful your friend doesn’t want to order a breakfast pizza, complete with maple syrup!