Pizza is one of life’s simple pleasures. It comes in many forms, and it doesn’t have to be fancy to be delicious, memorable and satisfying. One of the best things about pizza is how customizable it is. There are different styles of pizza to choose from and, of course, different toppings to put on it. But what kind of toppings should go on a frozen pizza?
The truth is, it mostly doesn’t matter as far as toppings are concerned if the pizza is frozen or fresh. After you take it out of the oven, a quality frozen pizza is going to taste just like a fresh pizza most of the time anyway—and you can always sprinkle some extra cheese on a frozen pizza before baking it to give it a little extra love.
Here are some of the most popular pizza toppings for both fresh and frozen pizzas:
Veggies and fruit
While meat is usually the first thing that comes to mind as a pizza topping, veggies are what makes it an everyday food. Not only do they help you get all the servings of healthy plants you need each day, but they provide balance and contrast to the rich and greasy meaty flavors that tend to dominate pizza.
Real pizza connoisseurs know that a pizza isn’t complete without at least one plant-based topping. Here are some popular options:
- Black olives: Rich, meaty and salty, black olives can provide a lot of the things we love about meat without clogging up our arteries. Sliced black olives are a great pizza topping for those times when you want something filling but not greasy.
- Bell peppers: Green bell peppers have a sharp, spicy bite to them that can be a great counterpoint to rich meat and cheese. They also look beautiful cooked into the melted cheese.
- Spinach: It might not add a ton of flavor, but spinach as a pizza topping is a great way to get some healthy vitamins into your diet, and it adds a good texture to the mix when cooked.
- Pineapple: Yes, it’s controversial, but pineapple on pizza can be delicious in the right circumstances. Try it with anything spicy, especially pepperoni or jalapeños.
- Mushrooms: Another good meat alternative is mushrooms. They are chewy and flavorful, loaded with umami just like meat, and there’s a great variety of wild mushrooms that you can experiment with beyond the standard brown or white ones.
- Onions: Fresh onions add a nice bite to the pizza that cuts through the cheese, and caramelized onions add a depth that makes you come back for another slice even when you swore you were full just minutes ago.
When it comes to meat on a pizza, there’s no denying that pork makes up most of our favorites. Here are some of the most popular choices:
- Pepperoni: Spicy, rich and classic. There’s a lot to love about pepperoni as a pizza topping.
- Sausage: There’s a lot of variety within sausage as a pizza topping, from classic Italian style to unique artisan flavors.
- Bacon: When all else fails, the king of meats (AKA bacon) will always be there to enhance any pizza it comes in contact with.
When you’re debating what kind of pizza toppings should go on a frozen pizza, remember to consider the balance of meats and veggies. For the best frozen pizza with a wide variety of topping options, check out Giovanni’s Frozen Pizza today.